October 6, 2010

Not so wordless Wednesday


Can I just start off by saying that we as parents need to be WAY more involved in our children's life than they want us to be! I know that when I was growing up there was an adult in my business at all times. I didn't have a cell phone until I was 18 and could get it with my own credit and my own money from the job I worked at. I did have a computer in my room and learned the very hard way that I was being monitored on it. Do you think for one second I will be putting a computer in my kids bedrooms. NO! My daughter asks me all the time for a Facebook account and her own laptop?! She's 10! Nope not going to happen. She gets mad and pouts and I tell her sorry but there are some mean, weird and just plain creepy people out there in cyber world. She gets aggravated when I go through her things. Again, sorry but you are 10 years old and this is my house and my bedroom you are living in. I a going to continue to go through your things until you no longer live at my house. Even if that means you are here until you are 30! She looks at me like I'm crazy!

But if she only knew half of the mean stuff and bullying that really goes on in the world. Her worst case of bullying is from a boy who has told her that she has hairy legs. So she refused to wear anything but pants when it was 90 something degrees outside. We had a nice long conversation about being yourself no matter what anyone says and that NO she was not going to start shaving her legs yet. Then I had a conversation with the said boy. Yes, I am THAT mom!

Seriously though if we as parents got all up into our children's business and into their personal affairs we would hopefully noticed if our child was being bullied or if our child was a bully. As parents it is our job to teach and show our children how to accept people for their differences. Whether that be skin color, boy or girl, disability, they were glasses, the color of their hair, the clothes they wear. All of this stuff is just at the end of the day stuff. People are people at the end of the day and that is all that matters!

I for one am tired of reading about kids being almost beaten to death over text messages. Kids who commit suicide because of a bully and the means things they hear on a daily basis. There has got to be something that can be done to prevent this. The first thing we as parents can do is teach our children NOT to bully or stand by and watch someone else be bullied. It is getting out of control and I for one am sick of it!

Maybe we should remember the golden rule...

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you!
Matthew 7:12


No comments:

Post a Comment